Thoughts On Jesus Christ

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

That one statement really encompasses what I believe - and what a lot of other people believe - about Christianity. I admit that I very rarely talk to people about Jesus Christ. Why? I get frustrated when someone blows me off as a delusional, religious freak or when they treat me like some kind of demon-spawn because my religion differs from theirs.

Be that as it may, here is my attempt to put into writing my thoughts and beliefs about Jesus Christ.

What is Jesus so central to so many people's spiritual beliefs? Why should anyone care? Well, if we can go with the assumption that the Bible is true (which I admit not everyone believes), there are three quotes from Jesus himself that might help explain it:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21)

Those three verses become even more important in light of what I wrote last week. If our goal in mortality is to return to live with Heavenly Father and to become like Him, then it is only through Jesus and his commandments that it is possible to do so.

Now, there are two major obstacles that keep us from reaching our eternal potential. The first one is that a person who is dead cannot become like Heavenly Father who is immortal. We have plenty of records telling us that Jesus Christ, himself, died. For example:

"And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world; and I saw and bear record.

And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world." (1 Nephi 11:32-33)

But because he is the Son of God, Jesus had the ability to become alive again. And this allows everyone else to do the same.

"And he cometh into the world that he may save all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam.

And he suffereth this that the resurrection might pass upon all men, that all might stand before him at the great and judgment day.

And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God.

And if they will not repent and believe in his name, and be baptized in his name, and endure to the end, they must be damned; for the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, has spoken it." (2 Nephi 8:21-24)

Yes, it seems strange and unbelievable, but I do believe that it is true. So why did Jesus do this?

"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." (Alma 7:12)

By dying, Jesus knows what we go through - otherwise it might be hard for an immortal being to really understand death. And second:
"Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me.

And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—" (3 Nephi 27:13-14)

Knowing all about the mortal experience, Jesus can judge us accurately and compassionately.

Judge us? Yes. That has to do with the second major obstacle that keeps us from becoming like Heavenly Father - spiritual death, or sin.

At the core, it relates back to those three verses I quoted at the beginning - keeping the commandments of God. For those inclined to think of commandments as restrictions for the sole purpose of men controlling men, Jesus himself gave a great response:

"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:17)

In other words, if you honestly try to be obedient to the commandments, you'll know if it is from God or if someone is just making it up. Try it.

Does that mean that anyone will be able to keep the commandments all the time? No. I've done (and, unfortunately, continue to do/think) things that would shock some people. I'm not perfect and I never claimed to be. However, the Apostle Paul tells me that I'm not alone in this mess...

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans 3:23)

Everybody. It doesn't matter if your the Pope, a prophet, homeless, rich, beautiful, ugly, or just an average person. Everyone makes mistakes. Unfortunately, Paul tells us that there is a related problem.

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God." (Ephesians 5:5)

Now I'm not saying Paul is calling anyone specifically a pimp or an idol worshipper. What he is saying is that people who have sinned cannot reach that divine potential I talked about last week.

Woah! Wait a minute. If everyone is a sinner and sinners don't inherit the kingdom of God...what's the point?!

However, just as Jesus Christ helps us overcome physical death, he provides a means for us to overcome this spiritual death.

"But behold, the Spirit hath said this much unto me, saying: Cry unto this people, saying—Repent ye, and prepare the way of the Lord, and walk in his paths, which are straight; for behold, the kingdom of heaven is at hand, and the Son of God cometh upon the face of the earth.

And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me." (Alma 7:9-13)

Just as he died to know the full measure of the mortality experience, so also did he experience every kind of pain, affliction, and temptation so he could judge us with compassion.

Again with the judging? Yes, because while being freed from physical death comes to everyone, only those who repent of their sins can be freed from spiritual death.

A missionary by the name of Aaron taught a king about Christ atoning for our sins:

"And Aaron did expound unto him the scriptures from the creation of Adam, laying the fall of man before him, and their carnal state and also the plan of redemption, which was prepared from the foundation of the world, through Christ, for all whosoever would believe on his name.

And since man had fallen he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ atone for their sins, through faith and repentance, and so forth; and that he breaketh the bands of death, that the grave shall have no victory, and that the sting of death should be swallowed up in the hopes of glory; and Aaron did expound all these things unto the king." (Alma 22:13-14)

I don't claim to understand how exactly it all happens, but I know that when we recognize the Atonement of Christ and repent and forsake our sins, somehow we become clean, and are able to take part in our inheritance. Because of the blood Jesus shed to accomplish this, it is referred to symbolically as being washed (or made clean) in the blood of Christ (meaning through his sufferings and the actual shedding of his blood).

"And no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his rest save it be those who have washed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end." (3 Nephi 27:19)

So Jesus Christ saves us from both the physical and spiritual death that came into the world at the beginning of time.

"For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Corinthians 15:21-22)

And to close, two quote from Nephi, a Book of Mormon prophet:

"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise." (2 Nephi 2:8)

"And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.

And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the ename of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.

But, behold, my beloved brethren, thus came the voice of the Son unto me, saying: After ye have repented of your sins, and witnessed unto the Father that ye are willing to keep my commandments, by the baptism of water, and have received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, and can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels, and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me.

And I heard a voice from the Father, saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are true and faithful. He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.

And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.

Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.

And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen." (2 Nephi 31:10-21)

It is my hope that everyone who believes these things can "endure to the end" by striving to keep the commandments of God and repenting when we fail.

"And if ye believe on his name ye will repent of all your sins, that thereby ye may have a remission of them through his merits." (Helaman 14:13)



Previous
Next

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smaller Plates Huh? Heard of that happening before. Dad